Barn Love

Monday, March 3, 2014

Farmerboy Approved Black Bean Burgers

In college, my hubby's nick name was Farmerboy. Here's a meatless recipe that even a meat loving, hard workin' farmer boy can love.








































Ingredients:

2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
2 tsp. ketchup
2 tsp. cumin
½ cup frozen corn
oil for frying
water, if needed


Directions:

First, drain and rinse the black beans. Do this one can at a time. You will need one can to be chopped, and one can to stay whole.

I recently discovered this strainer in my basement and LOVE it!

Then add the drained beans into a food processor. Thanks to my mother in law, I have a fancy little min-prep one.  Check it out here

This is about the consistency you are looking for… not completely mushed, but not completely whole. Somewhere in the middle is perfect!



Once ground, you can add all the rest of the ingredients into a bowl and mix them up. I don't add salt to this recipe because of the seasoning from the breadcrumbs and the ketchup. You simply don't need it.


Cook's Tip: Let the mixture sit for a few minutes to give the corn time to thaw. This should give you the added moisture that you need to form the patties. Otherwise, you will need to add some water to the mix.


The thinner and smaller the patties, the better. They are much easier to flip, and to get the entire thing heated through.  As I was making the patties, I decided that they needed more liquid, so I added a little at a time. If you need to do this, go slowly. As my dad always says in reference to cooking "you can always add, but you can't subtract."


Next, get those babies cooking on your griddle. I also have our standard fare of onions and frozen peppers from our garden going on the griddle as well.


Cook them on medium heat for about 10 minutes on each side… just keep an eye on them. You can tell if they are starting to burn… or if the inside isn't getting done. Adjust your fire accordingly. 


While the burgers are cooking I form the rest of the mix into patties. This recipe makes about 7-8 burgers. We usually eat 3 and then I freeze the rest. Gotta love a recipe that gives you more than one round!





What's a good burger without CHEESE?!


Hubby likes his on a tortilla, so I warm it while the cheese melts. 


We serve them 2 ways:  As a wrap with salsa….  




and just "naked" with salsa and sour cream (though I didn't have any this time). 



I usually serve this with brown rice, or quinoa. However, I got so into taking the photos for this post that I totally forgot!


Bon Appetite!




No comments:

Post a Comment